Monday, November 23, 2015

Hermana Hill and the Chocolate Factory (October 12, 2015)

Hola lindos!!!

Sorry for writing a day late, yesterday was a big holiday here and NOT A SINGLE SHOP OPENED UP. Soooo, p-day is today!

Here´s the rundown of this awesome week:

Pompeya is awesome! The area is HUGE. I don’t think I’ll ever get to know all of it. I love my companion! She makes me laugh every second of the day out here. We found TONS of new people to teach this week! We had a lot of setbacks- people came to fix our house, we have to be in the house at 8 because it´s a little sketchy at night in the city (don’t worry mom and dad we´re safe haha, it just makes the work a little different), and a bunch of things just happened. But we worked hard with the time we had and miracles happened!

Favorite parts of the week:

A little old lady, 93 years old, shared her testimony this Sunday. I´m just going to quote her so that you can experience the comedy gold. Imagine it in a scratchy cute voice: "I know the word of wisdom is real! The missionaries taught me to stop drinking all those delicious alcoholic drinks and I did! And now I don’t have to take a single medicine. I loved those drinks... but I’m happy now" haha and: "I have to confess- I LOVE watching soccer games. The one last night was especially good. But I KNOW the scriptures are true and I love them, so after the game last night at 2 am I read my scriptures! It was great! Today is Sunday, and it´s a holy day. so even though I love soccer, I’m not going to watch it" I have never laughed so hard in a sacrament meeting! I’m so grateful for this lady and her example and for the way she made me laugh!!!

To explain the title, we toured the alfajor factory this week!!! BE JEALOUS. It was amazing. And we got free alfajores! And it was delicious. Our neighbor across the hall works there, so we got an exclusive behind the scenes tour.

Thought of the week:

I don’t know if I have mentioned this before, but I had a thought that really struck me this week when we were talking to a sweet old man named Don Natalio. Many people tell us: "I admire you for what you are doing and for taking time from your lives to help others! Way to go! I’m already lost, (or I’m fine), good luck finding people to teach!" But here´s the thing- that’s what everyone says!! We can’t help anyone if everyone thinks that they´re not worth helping! Or if they think that they´re a waste of time! We´re not here to help only the hopeless, but the message of Christ and his gospel is for EVERY ONE OF US, and everyone, myself included, needs to keep on learning and take this message into their hearts. LET THAT PERSON THAT WE TEACH BE YOU. Who knows? Maybe you´ll find something you needed. But you´ll never know until you try. You´ll never know if you need part of this message until you hear it! It’s within every one of us if we want to change or not. If we want to act or not. But the least you can do is TRY. no, the least you can do is HEAR! You don’t even have to act on our invitations if you don’t want to! But I promise that if we take the promise of Alma 32 and we plant and nourish the seed of the word with our actions, we WILL KNOW if the fruit is good for us. I hope we can all plant and nourish the seed of the gospel. Ask questions. Look for answers. And then look some more. We need more people who search, and less people who tell others to search.

I hope that made a little sense... it goes for every one of us. How is that seed doing in my heart? Am I nourishing it? Have I searched and pondered on how to help it grow? And now, is this fruit good for me? (See the talk of Elder Uchtdorf from the last conference)

Love you all!!! Things are wonderful here, and I hope they are for you all too, wherever you may be in the world. May God bless you and keep you!

Hermana Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment